Thursday, February 7, 2008

~ Food For Thought . . .


Well who am I kidding, this dessert is so yummy you forget to think at all !!!
This recipe is called in Lebanon "Meghli",(مغلي) or "karawya", (كراوية) in Syria, and it is usually served to guests coming over to congratulate the new mom on the arrival of a newborn.. This recipe is special because it is mom's, she wrote to me because I love it and I think she would be happy to know that I have tested it a couple of times and am sharing with you too..
It is to be noted though that in Lebanon, ( Sorry, I don't know if this known in Jordan), we make it to the consistency of "Mouhalabiya",(مهلبية) while in Syria some prepare it as a sharab..

One funny note, we use to know that somebody had a baby in the building just by smelling this dessert..
So, here we go..This is what you need and you can always try it first by using half the measurements and it is a good idea to prepare the bowls ahead so you can pour it immediately and let them set and cool:

* 1 cup of fine rice
* 2 cups of sugar
* 7 cups of water
* 2 tsps. fine karawya or caraway
* 2 tsps. cinnamon
* A small bag of shredded coconut
* A variety of nuts of your taste like chopped walnuts, almonds, pine nuts and pistachios.

I recommend that you use a deep pot so when the mix start to buble you don't hurt yourself..Remember safety first :)
In the pot put all the dry ingredients, mix well..Add water and put on medium heat.. Keep stirring, the mix will become thick and thicker as it reaches a boiling point..
That is it, you remove it and pour it in the bowls and let it cool.. You can keep them covered in the fridge if you like to..ONCE YOU ARE READY TO SERVE, you sprinkle on top of them some coconuts and a variety of nuts.. You can serve it warm or cold..
This should be enough for eight small size bowls, but you will forgive me if am wrong, right ??
Enjoy.....


Noura
:)

3 comments:

Mimi Cooks said...

Thanks Noura for this great recipe. I was only thinking of this recipe yesterday, and my recipe is a bit different, one cup fine rice, one cup sugar and five cups of water, but you may add more water depending on the consistency of the mix. but really, thanks for posting it!
Nido, you should practice this recipe on Jeej until you perfect it for your guests when the baby arrives!! :)

Anonymous said...

Ahlan Summer,
I know isn't it just perfect for this occasion and for me it is good at all times :)
Yeah, I know that's why I asked to try it on a small scale to see if she needs more or less water or sugar but trust me I have tested it more than once and I have the waist to prove it :D
loooool

Thanks Sammoura :)w alf sa7a nido w jeej

Unknown said...

Karawyaaaaaaa
Yummmiiiiiiiiiiiii
hehehhehehee
Mama promised me -inshallah- if she got the chance to come she will make this for me and invite all the ladies I know here :)
I love the way mama makes it! I'm gonna ask her to read this and see if it's the same or not!!
xoxo